Thursday, April 01, 2010

An Oldie but Goodie by Shmuel Sackett: Pesach in Cancun


By Shmuel Sackett
International Director, Manhigut Yehudit

Adar, 5768
March, 2008

I just finished reading a Jewish newspaper that a friend sent me from the States and I am totally confused!!! This paper had over 20 pages of ads from various Pesach programs and I can’t make up my mind. Please read my dilemma and if you can help me, email me your advice at Shmuel@jewishisrael.org. I would greatly appreciate it.

My first choice was actually one of the many hotels in Florida. My favorite one advertises a “Hawaiian Luau Night”. What a great Pesach experience… matzah, marror and a good old-fashioned Hawaiian Luau. I was about to make my reservation but noticed that the ad did not say “non-gebrokts”. Hey, Luau or no Luau, I insist on non-gebrokts only! What do you think I am… some kind of modern Jew???

The next ad I liked was about Pesach in Greece. The ad boasted, “an enlisting atmosphere of Torah”. Think about that. A few months ago we celebrated Chanukah when the Greeks did not allow Jews to study Torah and now Jews are traveling on Pesach to Greece to have “an enlisting atmosphere of Torah”. Boy, have times changed!

My wife refused to go to Greece. Why couldn’t I marry a true Eyshet Chayil? So, I had to look further. The next ad was for a beautiful hotel in Cancun. WOW!!! Pesach in the Caribbean!! How holy is that???!!! To make things really exciting, the ad said the following; “Chassidishe and Bais Yosef Shechita”. I have to admit that I have no idea what that means but it sounds very “machmir” and we all know that machmir is good. Can you imagine being machmir in Cancun? As my kids would say: COOOOOL!!

Well, we found out that it’s too hot in Cancun so we kept looking. Let’s see; there was Pesach in Los Cabos that said “Glatt Kosher and Scuba Diving” (but is the “Glatt” in Los Cabos also Bais Yosef?), Pesach in Italy on the Italian Riviera, Pesach in Las Vegas that boasts a “World championship golf course, 18,000 square ft European Spa and a Fully stocked Bais Medrash” (but how far is the Bais Medrash from the European Spa? I hate walking on Pesach) and Pesach in Disney with “100% hand Shmurah matzah, Daf Yomi and totally non-gebrokts” (does Mickey know that too??).

I’m telling you this is hurting my Shalom Bayis! I want Greece but my wife absolutely refuses. She wants Los Cabos. (Where is that any way???). Two of my kids want Disney while my frum son insists on Chassidishe shechita which would leave us only with Cancun!

My daughter tells me that the Rav of the shul we used to dovin in is the Scholar-in-Residence in Spain where the ad says “No Kitnios”. But when I demanded to know how fully stocked their Bais Medrash was she could not answer me!!! I’m telling you… kids today just don’t get it!

So what do I do? I called my Rav back in New York and asked him what he felt. He said that he’s going to Disney and if I book through him I can save 10%. Any suggestions?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Sackett,

Please forgive a non-Jew for his ignorance in Pesach matters.
But after reading your "Pesach in Cancun" letter, I couldn't
believe that so many places offer a Pesach Program as if it
were just another holiday to enjoy and spend money.

Did not God create the Pesach as a reminder to the Jewish
people of their liberation from Egyptian bondage? As a reminder
that HE, and HE alone, is their Leader, their Caregiver, their
Keeper?
Should then a most Holy celebration be touted as if it were
a simple holiday extravaganza with fun in the sun, and all you can
eat and drink?

God forbid it! I say forget travelling to find a place to celebrate the Pesach; Gather your family and some very close friends and rent a hall, congregate with family/friends in a dwelling, or attend a synagogue.

Speak of why the Pesach is important and why it must be celebrated.
Not with frills, but with Loving Devotion to our Father in Heaven.
Speak of how HE selected the Jews as his chosen people that they
may see HIS bounty, know HIS love, and feel HIS rod should they
walk a path other than the one HE has chosen for them.

Gather, then, in Spirit and in Love, and be reminded of all that HE
has sacrificed for the Jews so that it be made known to all of mankind; that God, and God alone, can perform wonders beyond all human understanding.
And what a joy in celebration!

Sing, dance, and feast in Praise and in Bounty of His blessings! The Jews of today should be the Light for all of us to follow. The Shining Lamp that is His greatness so that we also should walk in His path alongside His chosen people.

Yes, gather in solemn humbleness and look forward to the day when His Kingdom shall return and Jerusalem shall be the Beacon of His Light. Even we Gentiles must
always remember that God gives us our freedom and our deliverance from evil, and this 'gift' must be cherished from within and from without.

May the Jewish people gather in Spirit, in Love and Joy, and in HIS honor and rememberance,
and guide us toward HIS rightous devotion while we await the coming of HIS Kingdom.

May His Peace and Love be with all of you during this Pesach.

Sincerely,
Alfredo M. Battaglia
Jennings, Missouri, USA.

Anonymous said...

It's actually fine to travel during Chol Hamoed, the 4 intermediate days of the holiday. Of course you should spend it with your family, just bring them along! Pesach is a holiday to celebrate our freedom from bondage, and what better way than to celebrate our freedom to travel as we please?? The holiday is in fact a very joyous one, no need to be so somber about it!

So where did you end up going? I know the Rabbi who kashers the Disney Villas :)