Monday, July 12, 2010

An Article that should not have been Written


By Moshe Feiglin

The following article was written by Moshe Feiglin last Friday and appeared on Ma'ariv's NRG website. In the meantime, thank G-d, David Yosef has moved his arms and legs. He is currently heavily sedated and on a respirator. Please continue to pray for David Yosef ben Faigeh Perel.

20 Tamuz, 5770
July 2, '10

My dearest son David lies unconscious in the hospital with a serious head injury. His friends, the fire department volunteers, saved his life, and now the doctors continue to save him. If you would like more insight into this incredible kid, see the article I wrote about half a year ago, "
Sweet Defeat on the Hermon."

Since David's accident last Monday, I have practically not left the hospital. The last thing that I planned was to write articles, and I had already notified NRG that - at least this week, I would not be writing my weekly article.

My wife and I and the entire family are focused only on our David. Not on the newspapers, the radio, television, internet – none of it. I had no idea what was going on in the world and it also did not interest me. Many people have tried to call to wish us well. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart and apologize for the fact that my phone is off.

Now it is Friday, and I came home to bring clothing to the hospital for Shabbat. I decided to turn on the radio to hear the news as I drove home. I also saw the headlines of the newspaper at the grocery store and I understand that extreme pressure is being applied to Netanyahu to have Gilad Shalit released at all costs. I decided to write this article simply to attempt to save lives.

Every day, I pray for two captives: Jonathan Pollard and Gilad Shalit. Every day. I have the utmost respect for Gilad's parents, Noam and Avivah Shalit. It is impossible not to be impressed with them. It is also inappropriate to argue with them. I think that from my situation now I can identify with their pain even more.

But I ask all the people marching and pressuring Netanyahu to please stop. The Prime Minister is simply right. I know that you are motivated by warmth and love and that you want only the best. But there is no such thing as "at all costs." The statistics do not lie: Most of the terrorists murder again. There are those who argue that just because the sun set yesterday does not mean that it will set again tomorrow. Logically, there is truth to that argument, but practically, it is totally unacceptable.

Please understand that for all practical purposes, you are demanding that the Prime Minister allow an unknown number of soldiers and citizens to be murdered in exchange for Gilad. The question is not
if they will be murdered – just how many will be murdered.

I am returning to the hospital. I will continue from there to pray for Gilad and I ask everyone who can to pray for the complete recovery of my son, David Yosef ben Faigah Perel. Thank you.

No comments: